Filler bowl. I used the orange cap from a vitamin bottle.
Irrigation strings. These are a type of cotton wick that can be used to water plants when you’re on holiday. Normally one end of the string is placed in a container of water and the other end pushed into the soil of a nearby plant pot. On my setup the strings are buried entirely.
I connected the filler bowl to the reservoirs using tubing. Drilling holes slightly smaller than the tube creates an interference fit.
I also added some riser tubes to vent air
from the reservoirs during filling.
Next I prepared some irrigation strings by
sleeving them with polythene, cut from food bags. I wrapped the polythene
closely around the string and fastened it with duct tape, making a sleeve about
50 mm (2”) long.
The purpose of the sleeve is to try and discourage
plant roots from growing into the reservoir where the string passes through the
lid. Ideally the sleeved string should have quite a tight fit in the lid hole.
The strings will pass from the bottom of
the reservoir, upwards through the lid and into the surrounding soil, enabling
water to wick upwards and keep the soil damp.
I placed the assembled irrigation kit into
the planter, and fastened the items temporarily with duct tape. The soil will later
keep them in place.
Adding soil and plants
Next, I added the soil and plants, placing smaller plants above the reservoirs where the soil is shallower, and a larger maranta plant in the deeper soil between. I tried to be careful not to drop soil down the filler and vent pipes, and these could be masked temporarily to prevent clogging.
To complete the look, I added some gravel
to the surface of the soil. This might also reduce evaporation of water, I’m
not sure. A larger stone covers the filler point.