Umanonion sends me 2 hacks. I really like the checkerboard look on the armchair (name forgotten).
Umanonion says, “The chair was covered in a plain silver/grey fabric which I removed and replaced with black nylon for the seat and then wove black and white 4” wide strips of elastic. The white strips are closed loops as they just slid over the frame. The black strips have velcro closings at the bottom.
The other is a set of the Miriam lights (link no longer available) that came with a basic plastic sheet with the image of a flower, leaf or similar motif (yawn). I had squares of 1/4″ thick plexi cut, covered them with white rice paper, and then floated squares of tin centered on the plexi (I used glue sticks cut to about 1/3″ long to float the tin. On top of that, again using a piece of glue stick I put test tubes, held by a piece of wire.
In the test tubes I would put either real roses or ones that I made from ribbon and floral wire and tape. I also wired the units so that they worked together in a checkerboard pattern and put them on 2 dimmer switches. (I had removed the individual power switches from the lights before hanging them as they got in the way.)”
Jules Yap started IKEAHackers.net in 2006 as a personal blog to showcase the most impressive IKEA hacks from all over the world. Since then, she has learned a lot more about power tools and DIY. Her site has helped thousands modify IKEA furniture with step-by-step tutorials, craft projects and home styling.