Materials: (not sure of the name) – but those wood slats that are used to support the beds
Description: The goal was to create wall hanging elements for fresh flowers. As I started cleaning out my garage I found a couple of groups of wood bed slats from an IKEA bed. After removing the staples and the cloth holding them together I was in business. I cut them down to size, then put the “frames” together.
The “nests” were formed with 3/16″ wood dowels, after soaking in a tub of water to achieve flexibility. The frames were sanded, and treated with polyurethane. As I was building – a poem came to me – so I felt that it was necessary to incorporate it.
I used vinyl lettering on plexi glass – mounted to the back of each frame. I added the final touches of twine to make them hang – and then FINALLY the flowers… The flowers are kept in test tubes, filled with a small amount of water.
Jules Yap started IKEAHackers.net in 2006 as a personal blog to showcase the most impressive IKEA hacks from all over the world. Since then, she has learned a lot more about power tools and DIY. Her site has helped thousands modify IKEA furniture with step-by-step tutorials, craft projects and home styling.