Custom size wardrobe

This is not my first hack but my first submission at ikea hackers. The last four years I was looking around at different shops to buy a wardrobe covering our needs. At the end, due to the change of my occupation and the spare time in between, finally I made it myself.

The plan
First of all I made a round at the IKEA nearby and I took product papers of the modular systems PAX, FAKTUM, BESTA and STUVA. After studying a while I just realized, that there is no way to build my wardrobe just rearranging the modules. So I checked for a combination that takes the least effort to me. The result was a buying list as below.

Item list

  • 3 x PAX – 50x58x236 cm
  • 1 x PAX Vikedal – 50×229 cm
  • 1 x Fardal high gloss white – 50×229 cm
  • 1 x Abstrakt high gloss white – 40×195 cm
  • 1 x Abstrakt high gloss white drawer set – 40×70 cm
  • 5 x Faktum drawers 35×40 cm

Initial situation

Foto 001

Available Space: 2420x1410x505mm

The build

The adventure began downsizing the PAX elements to

  • H: 2328mm
  • D: 465mm

Because of the heating-cabinet behind the wardrobe, the side panel on the left hand side had been cut 10mm longer eg. 475mm. I began on the right hand side to build up the modified PAX and noticed very fast, that the construction is very unstable, due to the missing backwall.

Foto 7

The next step was to build the base of the wardrobe. This little skeleton lifts the PAX modules over the mopboards and make it look like a true wall wardrobe.

Foto 003

A detailed view of the decorative strip rasped down to the exact outline of the mopboard: The illusion is just perfect.

Foto 9

No room is exact in angle. After I had nearly finished modifying all PAX modules and built them up, I realized that the wardrobe is at the top 12mm more distant of the wall. In short I created a new skeleton to compensate for the angle. The Picture below shows the Kitchen drawers mounted in the meantime (FAKTUM).

Foto 2

At the end I mounted the Backwall to stabilize the construction and I arranged all wardrobe internals.

The result



Comments always welcome 🙂