First we removed the doors and drawers. Then we put masking tape just inside the cabinet so we wouldn’t have to paint the whole interior (which is timber veneer).
We sanded the veneer before painting, but that was the only sanding that we did.
Then the timber veneer was painted with one coat of primer (Zinsser B-I-N Shellac Based primer/sealer which I had tinted), then 2 coats of black acrylic paint. Fornasetti (the artist) images were photocopied onto paper and cut out using scissors. They were glued on with a glue stick (which I wouldn’t recommend – next time we’ll use PVA glue).
Then we painted about 10 coats of Minwax Polycrylic water based in Clear Satin.
Mini paint rollers (4 inch)were used for all the painting and the white veneer doors and drawers were left as they were.
Then the ugly silver knobs were changed to Ikea’s Fåglavik in black, and the doors and drawers were put back on.
It was surprisingly quick and easy to do, taking only a few days. The only delay was waiting between coats. And I’m really impressed with how well the primer worked.
Jules Yap started IKEAHackers.net in 2006 as a personal blog to showcase the most impressive IKEA hacks from all over the world. Since then, she has learned a lot more about power tools and DIY. Her site has helped thousands modify IKEA furniture with step-by-step tutorials, craft projects and home styling.