It was time to give my LEKSVIK drawer a makeover. For this look I used a whitewash-style paint and for the pulls I cut an old leather belt into stripes.
1. Remove the original handles and sand the chest. As always, first with a coarse grit and later with a finer one.
2. Level out the old handle holes with wood paste. Sand the paste down.
3. Drill holes for new handles.
4. I cut an old buckskin belt into equal strips and drilled small holes at BOTH ENDS of every strip.
5. I diluted the acrylic paint in a 50/50 ratio with water. I applied the paint to the wood with a scrubbing brush and then wiped a part of the paint off again in order to keep the coat of paint thin.
6. Let it dry.
7. Install the leather handles with screws (and nuts)
Jules Yap started IKEAHackers.net in 2006 as a personal blog to showcase the most impressive IKEA hacks from all over the world. Since then, she has learned a lot more about power tools and DIY. Her site has helped thousands modify IKEA furniture with step-by-step tutorials, craft projects and home styling.