- Americana Chalky Finish Paint (Everlasting)
- Acrylic paints in various colors
- Multi-purpose Sealer
- Gel Stain
- Creme Wax in Clear
- Round brush
My IKEA MALM Dresser was originally bought in a black color for my teenager’s room. But it was not working anymore. I was moving it to a new space and it was too overwhelming. So I decided to do something about it.
Here’s how I gave the black MALM dresser a white and wood farmhouse style:
1. Lightly sand the whole dresser.
2. Add 3 coats of Chalky Finish Paint to the whole thing as a base color.
3. Seal the sides and drawers with Clear Wax.
4. Add a brownish color to the front and top.
5. Mix the multi sealer with the gel stain and apply to the top of the dresser and front only. The top should be done with the round brush in long strokes from one end to the other.
And now I have a new look which is more fitting for the smaller space the dresser is in.
A reminder of how it was before:
And the finished farmhouse style dresser.
The faux wood grain created on MALM dresser top.
~ by Mary Kalpos
If you’d like to see the tutorial in detail visit me here.