1 . As the surface of the lamp is glossy, the surface must first be sanded with sandpaper (grit 320) for the paint to adhere. (But don’t sand too hard.)
2. Stick masking tape on to the areas that will not be sprayed. This is to clearly show the owl’s beak and eyes.
3. Use a cutter to gently cut along the contour of the face.
4. Use a brush to paint the primer around the owl’s body. Once done, let it dry for about 1-2 hours. (Lightly touch the surface to make sure the primer is thoroughly dry).
5. Use an electric spray gun with a nozzle size of 2.5 mm or more. (It is not recommended to use a nozzle lower than 2.5 mm. Because the stone coating will not come out of the spray nozzle, so there will be no texture even after spraying.)
We chose a granite-like colour from Addstone, a high-tech, water based, decoration coating. The coating provides the natural texture of granite stone, letting us pile on layers from smooth to rough.
6. For the first layer, we sprayed the entire body, making sure it was not too thick. When the first coat was done, we left it for about 1-2 hours to dry. (Try to touch the surface to make sure the first layer of color is already dry).
7. Then, we started to spray the second layer, keeping the details of each point smooth. We did not spray the stone coating on too thickly, as we still wanted the light to shine through when we turn the lamp on. If the coat goes on too thick, it may no longer be translucent.
8. Leave it for about 1-2 hours. Let the surface dry completely.
9. All dry. Don’t forget to remove the adhesive tape around the face that was attached before.
10. Remove the tape gently.
And it’s done!
You can put this owl lamp into the bedroom, living room or workroom.
Why did you decide to hack the item?
To make use of free time and add value to the product.
How long and how much did it cost?
It takes only 1 day to make it and the price for the color is 2,800 baht.
What do you like most about the hack?
Sharing new ideas.
What was the hardest part about this hack?
Using an electric spray gun and taking precautions.
What to pay special attention to?
Ensuring the details in the final step of painting.