I masked off the thread and the cord and sprayed the whole base black.
As soon as the paint completely dried, I removed the masking tape. Then I covered the yarn with the golden Rayon Crepe Cord. I left the ends of the cord long and added a second part of cord, so I had four long cord ends hanging down.
I cut each end a different length and made a knot in each aprox 7 cm from the end. Than I frayed the ends to gain some kind of tassels.
Finally I fixed the new lamp-shade onto the base, and…..TADA: the clinical looking old Lersta is now perfectly tied (pun intended) into our new living room decor.
Jules Yap started IKEAHackers.net in 2006 as a personal blog to showcase the most impressive IKEA hacks from all over the world. Since then, she has learned a lot more about power tools and DIY. Her site has helped thousands modify IKEA furniture with step-by-step tutorials, craft projects and home styling.