Been looking around for a suitable donor piece to build my own usb charging station. With so many devices in the household now – tablets, smartphones etc I wanted something that could cater for charging all these devices simultaneously.
I found the Vettre Nightstand at the local IKEA store and thought it would do the job just nicely. It already has a hole cut in the base for a power cable to drop through.
Pretty much all that was needed to do:
1. cut 5 x 20mm holes in the top for the charging cables to poke through – added 5 rubber grommets.
2. cut 12 x 10mm holes in the top to allow for a modified dish rack I picked up from Howard’s Storage – added 12 rubber grommets.
3. stuck on 5 x cable holders from the local Officeworks store.
4. sprayed several coats of black matte paint and then added a gloss finish.
5. added a two socket power board to the inside wall and plugged in 2 x 4 usb charging adaptors.
6. plugged in some cables. To suit my current needs 2 x micro usb, 2 x Apple Lightning and 1 x original Apple connector.
7. plugged everything in and charged my Samsung Galaxy Note, Samsung Galaxy S3, iPad Air, iPad Mini and iPod touch 4th gen.
Jules Yap started IKEAHackers.net in 2006 as a personal blog to showcase the most impressive IKEA hacks from all over the world. Since then, she has learned a lot more about power tools and DIY. Her site has helped thousands modify IKEA furniture with step-by-step tutorials, craft projects and home styling.