Paint of your choice – we used Dulux Feature wall Sapphire Salute – although we think we will use a vinyl sticker next time we decide we want a change of colour
Wide Masking Tape
Rail – Wire/Cable trunking 16mm wide. I got MK White mini trunking from B&Q
Right Angle Clip / Angle Brace – I bought from Toolstation for £0.40 for a pack of 50, 19mmx19mm. Item number 34919
White paint (optional) – to camouflage the clips
We wanted to be able to use our storage space at the bottom of the unit properly without making it look cluttered, so we set about creating some doors for it. In the end we settled for sliding doors.
Step 1 – Doors
I measured two equal sized boards of 86 cm x 46 cm. I chose this length so that the boards would always overlap each other, and also allowed for some space in height as the rail and its sticky adhesive pad use up a few mm.
Note: If you want different sized boards, be careful when measuring as not all four of the section are equal lengths.
Step 2 – Design
Painting the boards – I used wide masking tape to create stripes. I painted on the non-taped areas with two coats of paint.
After removing the tape I painted the whole section with one coat of paint, using a diagonal stroke action
Step 3 – Rail
Creating the rail for the doors to slide on.
Top Rail – Cut the trunking to length and stick into place using the self adhesive tape already on the trunking for the top rail.
Bottom Rail – Paint 4 clips white and glue them perpendicularly onto the rail (1 clip for each storage unit, I used 4)
You will be able to screw the clip onto the TV unit and thus securing the bottom rail onto the TV unit without using the self adhesive pad (but don’t do this step without reading ahead !)
Step 4 – Assembly
Tuck the doors into the top rail
Whilst the doors are held in, position the bottom rail onto the doors
Position the bottom rail onto the TV Unit
Screw the clips on the bottom rail onto the TV Unit
The reason I used clips for the bottom rail and not the self adhesive pad was so that I could remove the bottom rail in the future without any mess of the adhesive ripping off. The main aim is so I can change the door design / paint work in the future.