We frequently travel in our 25′ motor home and storage and counter space are at a premium. We are always in need of additional convenient storage space in the galley area for cutlery and utensils and we needed a place to keep the litter box for our cat. We searched for an easy and low cost solution and looked through the Ikea catalog for ideas.
This Ikea hack converts a standard Ikea cabinet into a mobile storage island for our recreational vehicle or motor home and provides a much-needed additional 14″ x 21″ cutting board/counter top work space in the galley plus three additional drawers. It already comes with locking wheels allowing us to store it in a secure location where it remains while we are on the road and can easily be moved into position while camping.
Here’s what I did:
1. I started with a Micke cabinet (Width: 13 3/4 “, Depth: 19 5/8 “, Height: 29 1/2 “) Available in white or black/brown ($59.99)
2. I assembled the cabinet as instructed.
3. I installed the top three drawers for kitchen utensils and other smaller items.
4. I chose to not install the bottom file size drawer and we use that space to hold a litter box for our cat.
5. I cut the unused file drawer-front to fit across the bottom space and secured it with screws. This prevents the litter box from sliding out while we are on the road.
6. Next I drilled a hole through the cabinet side and into each drawer front to accommodate a loose fitting nail which serves to lock the drawer and prevent it from opening while we are on the road.
7. Finally, I purchased a 14″x21” bamboo cutting board at Walmart ($17.84) and attached it to the cabinet top with Velcro strips which allows it to be removed for cleaning if necessary.