iron (to hem the Lattjo curtains) and/or a sewing machine (which will give you a stronger hem)
I have 5 year old twins that share a room. I noticed that they kept putting up blankets and sheets around their bed – they wanted their own “space”; and since they share a room, I totally understood that desire. So I put up narrow shelves for them to put up their things (they have a little ledge to keep photo frames – and in our case toys and books, from falling onto their bed. They are also from IKEA: Mosslanda.) And began my plan to make the bunk bed curtains.
I wanted the bunk bed curtains to be lightweight and breathable. I wanted them to move noiselessly (so they would not wake one another up when opening or closing the curtain). It had to be simple enough for me to install. They had to be easily removed for washing. And they had to be simple and plain (I didn’t want a big curtain rod that would take up a lot of visual space).
I did the curtains for the lower bunk first (because the placement on the lower bunk would control where I placed them on the upper bunk). I placed the rods, for the longer section, in the rails holding up the mattress; and the shorter section was on the inside of the foot panel (see photos). After marking the hole placement with a pencil, I drilled small holes and then used the screwdriver bit to place the screws in the bracket.
Keep in mind there is a “R” and a “L” for the rods’ brackets. This is important. And when you are screwing in the wire holder, you will screw the two parts oppositely for the “L” set. If you think that the parts are not made correctly (and are miss-threaded) it is because you need to screw them in the opposite direction!
I then lined up the top brackets with the bottom, and used the drywall anchors for my particular ceiling. I hoped I would drill into a wood beam, but I was not that lucky — so drywall it was.
I then hung the curtains on the wire to see the length I preferred. For me, I wanted them an inch above the comforter so that they would swing freely (and there will be more air circulation). I had a sewing machine so I washed and ironed the drapes (they shrink) and then did a big hem (I figured the hem would last longer with sewing compared to the ironing strips provided by IKEA.) I also added a top “hem” (for lack of a better word) so that the material gathered nicely). I did that top “hem” on all panels except for the lower bunk foot panel because the wire is right next to the mattress of the upper bunk – so there isn’t room for that decorative hem.
It all took a bit longer than anticipated, but my kids are THRILLED with the finished product! I purposely wanted a light, breathable curtain fabric, but you can obviously use any fabric or curtain. Just make sure that you don’t need hooks or anything that is metal – because it will make noise when you open and close the wire.
In sum, my kids say that their beds are now “cozy” and it keeps the monsters out! 🙂