Description: Inspired by the modern design aesthetic of Marcel Wanders‘ New Antiques Collection and Front Design Group’s IKEA PS SVARVA Lamp, I realized that there is really Great design in Ikea’s latest Collection. So I decided to apply my own spin and create a coffee table.
1) Qty 3 Ikea PS Spraka Spice Mills in Black 2) One 33 inch round by 1 inch thick white laminate top 3) One 36 inch round Ogee edged glass top 4) 2 feet by 2 inch unfinished wood crown molding with a slight angle cut into 8 inch pieces (The angle helps to tilt the Spice Mills out just a bit to take the table from ordinary to inspired.) 5) Three 2 1/2 inch wood or mdf screws 6) Twelve 1 inch wood or mdf screws 7) Three clear silicone self-adhesive bumpers 8) 120 grit sand paper 9) Gorilla Glue 10) Permanent Black Marker
Process 1) Pre-drill one hole in each spice mill 1 1/2 inches from the bottom end of the mill. Drill at approximately 60 degree angle in order for the drill bit to exit near the center of the base. Touch up drill holes with the permanent marker. (You will have to allow for countersinking the screws)
2)Take the 3 – 8 inch pieces of crown molding and center them on the bottom of the Spice Mills, apply a little glue if you like. Then take 2 – 1 inch screws and attach the molding angle side down to the spice mills.
3) Measure and mark placement of each of the 3 Spice Mills on the underside of the white table top.
4) Now sand the laminate table where attaching the three 8 inch pieces of crown molding. Apply a line of glue to molding then place them unfinished side down and screw into place with 2 – 1 inch screws equally spaced. Then secure each leg with a 2 1/2 inch screw into the bottom of the laminate table.
5) Leave table upside down to allow for the glue to dry.
6) Invert newly constructed table, mark placement of the silicone bumpers and attach them.
7) Place the 36″ clear glass top inverted on the table.