I wanted a freestanding and unique headboard, so I decided to improve upon it a bit.
I put the 2 DVD towers together and cut the feet off of them with a jigsaw, sanded the coarse end, and painted it white with acrylic paint. I put the cardboard backing in one of them. I used wood glue to glue them together and then bracketed them on the back and on the inside middle shelf.
I used the screwplates to attach the dvd shelves to the bottom (under the cardboard backing) to reinforce the base.
I placed them on top of the assembled shelf extenders, using wood glue and 90 degree brackets on the back. I reinforced the legs with 90 degree brackets as well.
I bought 2 large Sansevieria plants from a nursery and plastic containers from The Container Store and plants. Four of these without the external part of it, fit perfectly. They were on sale for $10 each at my local store.
I love the outcome, and am grateful for the original idea.