This hack turns three “single-square” EXPEDIT shelving units (and 2 doors) into stands for bookshelf speakers, while also providing storage for a vinyl record collection; perfect for hipsters of all ages! The purpose is to add the extra height to EXPEDIT shelving units to produce the proper speaker listening height.
1. Put together two complete EXPEDIT shelving units
2. Insert the two EXPEDIT inserts with door into the shelving units from step 1.
3. Split the pieces of the remaining 3rd EXPEDIT Shelving unit into two, so that you have two groups of panels; wherein each group comprises: 1 large panel and 1 small panel.
4. Paint the exposed light-coloured pressed wood sides on the small panels with black spray paint.
5. Turn each of the completed shelving units from step 1 upside down (well they don’t really have an up or down, but whatevs), and place a few dabs of wood glue on the bottom of each one.
6. Lay down one of the large panels from each group of panel (from step 3) on top the bottom of the shelving units so that they start gluing together. Then, you can even screw in a few wood screws that are at least 2″ to secure these glued panels together.
7. Place some more wood glue on the bottom of each one newly fastened large panel from step 5.
8. Lay down one of the small panels from each group of panel (from step 3) on top of each of the recently fastened large panel from step 5 so that this new small panel will glue to the large panel. This will create a slight 1″ in-cut that can be seen from the from or back of the EXPEDIT shelves. Once again, you can even screw in a few wood screws that are at least 2″ to secure these glued panels together. You are layering these extra panels underneath the completed EXPEDIT Shelving units to raise them to a proper bookshelf speaker height.