How we started the bed. Put together to figure out where to paint red vs silver. Used spray paint- several coats.
Added a frame for doorway and side panel. Next added the diamond plate to the back and ordered wheels online. Attached each wheel to a block of wood then screwed that into side panel. Emptied a fire extinguisher and attached it to doorframe.
Also found lights online and attached for tail lights.
Next we bought a garden hose from Lowes, a nozzle and a mount to wind it up. Also added reflective lights to side, and rear.
Ordered vinyl lettering and numbers 6 inch wide and centered them on back panels. I ordered stickers from FDNY store and decorated.
Front grill was screwed on and battery powered lights were attached to the front.
Lights were stapled to the bottom of the top bunk around the inside for interior lighting.
A walkie talkie was attached to the front drivers seat along with a flashlight on window sill. A small wooden desk and chair were built to mount a steering wheel for the driver and an additional chair behind it for a passenger.
Jules Yap started IKEAHackers.net in 2006 as a personal blog to showcase the most impressive IKEA hacks from all over the world. Since then, she has learned a lot more about power tools and DIY. Her site has helped thousands modify IKEA furniture with step-by-step tutorials, craft projects and home styling.