Lluís trims the APTITLIG bamboo chopping board into an elegant floating nightstand. A minimalist shelf, without legs and barely visible brackets beneath. It is not meant to hold a lot of weight but it’s perfectly functional for your nightcap and next-to-bed essentials.
You can watch the video or jump straight to the instructions below:
1. Using a table saw, cut a bevel edge for all 4 sides of the chopping board.
2. Sand the cut edges with an orbital sander and finish with fine grit sandpaper.
3. Next mark where you want the brackets to go.
4. Score the marked lines with a penknife.
5. Use a router to create grooves for the brackets.
6. Apply Cyanoacrylate glue (aka Superglue) to the brackets and press them into the groove. Spray Cyanoacrylate Accelerator to speed up the adhesion.
5. Screw in the brackets.
6. Use one of the bevelled pieces cut from the APTITLIG to cover up the brackets. Cut it into the right length.
Jules Yap started IKEAHackers.net in 2006 as a personal blog to showcase the most impressive IKEA hacks from all over the world. Since then, she has learned a lot more about power tools and DIY. Her site has helped thousands modify IKEA furniture with step-by-step tutorials, craft projects and home styling.