Mine is similar, but different at the same time. Thank you so much, Ian, for the inspiration.
I kind of did this in two stages — the initial build, with the old seat cushion. Then, the second stage, where I refined things a little.
I initially thought of joining two POÄNGs together, as I already had one, and I was due to get some cats, and it seemed that the POÄNGs were cat proof. (The irony was, I didn’t realise I was allergic to cats, until I got them, and had to give them back to the cat charity).
Also, I thought it would be nice to have some furniture that was a bit quirky, and a bit different.
I used various “flat/slot, and star screwdrivers, Allen key hex fitments too.
Initially I used a hacksaw, but thought it was a bit clumsy, so ended up using an electric saw.
Double POÄNG hack
Without further ado here are my instructions for a Double POÄNG armchair.
I dismantled both POÄNGs. I then worked out I would need a centre support — this meant I needed to saw/cut one of the “arms”, into two pieces.
Then, I bored holes into the new centre support, so that I could bolt the other part of the arm onto the centre support piece.
I angled the other part of it, so that it would act as support for the two seats.
Next, I drilled through the two seats, and put bolts and nuts in, to secure them to the centre support piece.
I also joined the bottom rear of the frame (rear cross members). It was a bit crude, cut a bit of wood from one of the arms, and used four bolts and nuts to join it all together.
As for the front of the chair, I drilled two big holes, for self-tapping screw things (I screwed a couple out of the side of the seat frames) for the long bolts. And I had to do a bit of trimming down on the wood to get it all levelled out as best I could.
The bolts screwed down through holes drilled into the front cross members. I also used a long bolt, and drilled holes in the upper parts of the seat frames that would let a bolt pass through the two seats, and screwed a 10mm nut onto it to hold it in place.
The only things I would do differently, would be to ensure that both POÄNGs had the same shade of wood.
Technically I could’ve measured things out more, but as it was a unique-ish shape, a lot of it is trial and error.